Monday, January 3, 2011

How Does God Feel About Me?

Genesis 6:6 (NLT) So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart.

Unlike a lot of men today I wear my feelings on my sleeve. You can look at me and pretty much know how I feel. If I’m upset or angry – it visually shows. I have tried to hide those emotions but the reality is this – that’s the way God made me. I kind of think God is the same way. You don’t have to guess or wonder about how He feels. In your heart you (because of the Holy Spirit in you) you will know when He is happy and elated over you and you will know when He is sad and grieved. Because of the rebellion and sinfulness of man in this passage – God was grieved and had a broken heart. To me, this is a real revelation about the heart of God. It takes away this mystical aura that God is out there somewhere and is untouchable by mankind. This verse shows that God has emotions like we have (remember – we we’re made in His image). Like a Father, His heart broke over the decisions His kids we’re making. They could have so much more but continued to make the wrong choices and decisions. Look at what the commentator Matthew Henry says about this verse:

⇒ God is pressed by the sins of man - "Behold, I am pressed under you, as a cart is pressed that is full of sheaves" (Amos 2:13).
⇒ God is wearied by man's sins - "Thou hast wearied me with thine iniquities" (Isaiah 43:24).
⇒ God is broken by man's sins - "I am broken with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols: and they shall loathe themselves for the evils which they committed in all their abominations" (Ezekiel 6:9).
⇒ God is grieved by man's sins. "Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways" (Psalm 95:10).

Meditate on this with me. Consider what is being said. Open your heart in this New Year of 2011 and ask God (you will know the answer immediately in your heart) whether He is happy over you or sad. Make loving and obeying God a priority today and the rest of this year.

By the way, I asked this question over my own life also and here is the verse the Lord gave me:

Zephaniah 3:17 (NLT) For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment