Monday, May 4, 2015

THE SIN OF GOSSIP


Do not touch my anointed ones; do my prophets no harm.” (‭1 Chronicles‬ ‭16‬:‭22‬ NIV)‬‬‬‬‬‬

Recently a woman made an appointment with me to tell me some gossip about a certain pastor that I was acquainted with.  Immediately all sorts of red flags begin to rise within me and I graciously shut her down and helped her to the door.  I was both grieved that someone would do this me and that I actually heard some of the things that she wanted to bring out.

Sadly, this type of activity goes on way to often!  We are so eager to bring others down because it makes us feel better about our own misery.

Random House College Dictionary: "Idle talk or rumor, esp. about the personal or private affairs of others."

This is talking  about a person (true or not!) showing them in a less than positive light!  Even if it is true – we must be careful about who we share certain information with.  We must always be careful about how we talk – especially when that person is not around at the time!

The Hebrew word for "slander or gossip" simply means "bad report."  

People will say to me “I’m going to tell you something and I don’t want you to tell anyone else.” (In other words – I don’t want you to help them but I just want you to know this piece of juicy gossip or that bad report.”

The NT has two interesting words regarding this sin of the tongue.

The first is Katalaleo ("slander") and the second Psithuristas ("gossip"; KJV--"whisperers"). 

The only difference between "gossip" and "slander" is one of degrees. Suppose you wanted to kill someone. There is more than one way to do it. Take a shotgun, walk right up to their face, announce that you're going to shoot them, and then blow them away. That's slander. Or, you could take a rifle with a scope. Attach a silencer to it, hide yourself a safe distance away, kill them from long-distance. They will never know what hit them. That's gossip.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭29-32‬ NIV)‬‬‬

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (‭Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭8‬ NIV)‬‬‬

I like the following poem about gossip and slander:

Wouldn't this old world be better
If folks we meet would say,
I know something good about you!
And then treat you that way?

Wouldn't it be fine and dandy,
If each handclasp warm and true
Carried with it this assurance,
I know something good about you! 

Wouldn't life be lots more happy
If the good that's in us all,
Were the only thing about us,
That folks bothered to recall?

Wouldn't life be lots more happy,
If we praised the good we see?
For there's a lot of goodness
In the worst of you and me.

Wouldn't it be nice to practice
That fine art of thinking too?
You know something good about me!
I know something good about you!

 Ann Landers column--"Gem of the Day": "People of high intelligence talk about ideas. People of average intelligence talk about things. People of no intelligence talk about other people. Where are you in the lineup?"

Here are some practical suggestions for overcoming gossip:

If you can't say something good about someone, say nothing (Rom. 12:10).

Keep private matters private (Prov. 11:13; 25:9-10).

Let me admonish you today to stay free from gossip or slander – especially about pastors and God anointed leaders.  Let us resolve together to be people who choose the high road rather than the low road when it comes to slander or gossip about another person.

What is the golden rule?

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭12‬ NIV)‬‬‬

My prayer is this: May God help us to always speak of that person in the best possible light. May God put a watch on all of our tongues so we may avoid the sin of gossip and thereby become a better person in this journey called “Life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment