Thursday, May 28, 2015

THE FOUNDATIONS OF LIFE


Psalm 111:10 (NLT) 10 Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever!

I looked up on the internet about fear yesterday and was amazed at the dozens and dozens of different types of fears that people have: Fear of heights, fear of the dark, fear of crowds, fear of clowns, etc.  I even saw one called “the fear of flowers.” The names that attach themselves to these fears are very long and hard to pronounce.

I’m not normally a fearful person but there are some things that I get your attention very fast.  I will never forget the time that I was building a fence around my house to keep my children safe from passing cars.  I got so concentrated on building the fence that I didn’t keep an eye on my older daughter.  Unbeknownst to me she wandered out in the street and a car almost hit her.  I was shaken to my core.

The other day I was driving with my wife when all of a sudden she screamed “Bill, watch out!”  I had looked to the side of the road and didn’t notice the truck that had hit his brakes in front of me.  I hit the brakes so hard that I slid off to the side of the road beside the truck. To say that my heart rate went up would be an understatement.

The word “fear” is an interesting word because it could be a healthy fear or it could be an unhealthy fear.  It is to have more respect for whatever is before us.

The Psalmist talks about “the fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom.”  Think about that – it is foundational to all my beliefs in life.  It affects how I live my life – with integrity, honesty, holiness, etc.  It affects my work ethic and how I love the unloveables in life.

My awe/ fear/ reverence of God dictates what I watch on television and how I live a life “above reproach.”  It transcends every part of my personal life here on earth.

Look at these verses and see if it gives you a better understanding about this foundational principle:

Proverbs 1:7 (NLT) 7 Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 8:13 (NLT) 13 All who fear the LORD will hate evil. Therefore, I hate pride and arrogance, corruption and perverse speech.


Proverbs 14:27 (NLT) 27 Fear of the LORD is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death.


Psalm 34:9 (NLT) 9 Fear the LORD, you his godly people, for those who fear him will have all they need.


Your foundation is so important because the rest of the house is built upon this principle.  If  the “fear of God” is your foundation it will help you to make better decisions for the entirety of your life.

My prayer is that each of us would examine whether our fear and awe and respect of God is the core of our belief systems or not.  It is the difference between living a life of fulness and success in God to living a life filled with emptiness and void.  Ask yourself about what foundations your life rests on.  Are you resting in the fear of God or are you resting in your own wisdom and might?

No comments:

Post a Comment