Saturday, February 22, 2014

THE HOME THAT GOD BLESSES

Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:14, 15 ESV)

I think most of us would like God's blessings over our homes.  I know for me - that is a daily prayer for me and my family.

In Joshua 24 - we see Joshua giving his farewell words to his people.  He rehearses to them what God has done and is doing in their lives right now.  He also warns them that there will be many things that will pull a person away from God.  He tells them that in so doing - it is a formula for God to take His hand of blessing off our homes.

The family is under great attack today and it is very important for Christians to make a choice that we are going to follow and serve God and glorify Him in and over our families.

Here are a few principles we need to make a priority over our homes -

1. Choose To Make Your Home HIS Home - Joshua 24:14-24

And the people said to Joshua, “No, but we will serve the Lord.” And the people said to Joshua, “The Lord our God we will serve, and his voice we will obey.” (Joshua 24:21, 24 ESV)

Joshua made a choice for his home. His choice was for his household to serve one God only, to worship one God only. It was a choice against idolatry and for faithfulness. Regardless of the choices of others - Joshua’s wife and children knew which way he would lead them.


Does your family know beyond a shadow of a doubt the direction that you are headed in?
All of us have to choose to live according to God’s design for our lives IN OUR HOMES and FAMILIES. As I was growing up we had a plaque in our house that had a great impact on my life.  It said ... “As for me and my house… we will serve the Lord.”

Is my home His home? – You can’t say ... ’well of course it is because I’m a Christian’ - it involves much more than that. There is a strong pressure on Christian homes today to compromise our highest Christian values.

Ask yourself this question: Do we behave at home as we do at church? We are surrounded daily with opportunities to offer greater worth (worship) to other things and people more than God.

I was blessed with the influence of parents who sought to make Jesus the center of our home. They taught us and modeled for us an authentic relationship with God  - whatever the happy or difficult situations we faced as a family. Living in such a way brings blessing to your home.

2. Welcome God's Presence Into Your Home - 2 Samuel 6:9-11


And David was afraid of the Lord that day, and he said, “How can the ark of the Lord come to me?” So David was not willing to take the ark of the Lord into the city of David. But David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. And the ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household. (2 Samuel 6:9-11 ESV)

Notice v.11... "The Lord blessed him and his entire household."  For 3 months the most awesome symbol of God’s presence was seated in Obed-Edoms home – “The Ark of the Lord.”


This box was the most sacred article in all of Israel’s history - the most powerful object on the face of the earth. I am certain beyond all doubt that this box changed the way they lived in that house. Every day for 3 months they were aware that God was living with them, lodging in their lounge. When God’s presence is welcomed and encouraged a home is truly blessed.

In most of our homes there is a box, which is the focal point of the home – our TV.  It has the power to shape our home life, form our children, corrupt our values, disturb our relationships and control our diaries. In many Christian homes the TV Times is read more often than the Bible. (This is not an anti-TV message, because I enjoy TV).



The box at the center of Obed-Edoms house brought blessing.  It reminded them DAILY of God’s presence and goodness to Israel, His faithfulness, promises, covenant, power and glory.

In his house God was acknowledged, valued and treasured.
Is there an altar in our home? Are you comfortable praying with each other.

3. Build An Ark Of Salvation In Your Home
 - Hebrews 11:7

By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith. (Hebrews 11:7 ESV)

Noah did all he could to save his family from the impending judgment on the earth. He could not drag them into the ark - but he warned them and built a way of escape for his home. The salvation of our homes is of paramount importance. We cannot save our families only God can. But we can always point our families to Jesus, the Savior. Our kids will make their own choices - but we must point them in the right way.

  One day your children will ’leave home’ and will ’set up their home.’ But I pray that ... One day they will declare ’As for me and my house we will serve the Lord’

So where do we begin? How do we initiate God’s for our home?


  • EXALT God in your home
  • EXAMPLE Christ likeness in your home
  • ENCOURAGE Faithfulness in your home
  • EDUCATE your children in God’s ways in your home
  • ESTABLISH Godly values in your home

We must create an environment where our children can find Christ

I like the following words.  It should the prayer of ever parent reading this...

IT’S YOUR MOVE CHILD

I gave you life but cannot live it for you.
I can teach you things but I cannot make you learn.
I can give you directions but I cannot always be there to lead you.
I can allow you freedom but cannot account for it.
I can take you to church but I cannot make you believe.
I can teach you right from wrong but I can’t always decide for you.
I can buy you beautiful clothes but I can’t make you lovely inside.
I can offer you advice but I cannot accept it for you.
I can give you love but I cannot force it upon you.
I can teach you to be a friend but I cannot make you one.
I can teach you to share but I cannot make you unselfish.
I can teach you respect but I can’t force you to show honor.
I can grieve about your report card but I cannot doubt your teachers.
I can advise you about friends but I cannot choose them for you.
I can teach you about sex but I cannot keep you pure.
I can tell you the facts of life but I can’t build your reputation.
I can tell you about drinking but I can’t say NO for you.
I can warn you about drugs but I can’t prevent you from using them.
I can tell you about lofty goals but I can’t achieve them for you.
I can let you baby-sit but I can’t be responsible for your actions.
I can teach you kindness but I can’t force you to be gracious.
I can warn you about sins but I cannot make your morals.
I can love you as a daughter/ son but I cannot place you in God’s Family.
I can pray for you but I cannot make you walk with God.
I can teach you about Jesus but I cannot make Him your Savior.
I can teach you to OBEY but I cannot make Jesus Your Lord.
I can tell you how to love but I can’t give you ETERNAL LIFE.


1 comment: