Monday, February 17, 2014

SIX PROMISES OF GOD - PSALM 91

For many people, this chapter from Psalms is one of the most beloved chapters of the Bible. When I am ministering to people in their time of distress and need - this chapter is often requested to be read.

Penned most likely by David, it tells of WHO God is and WHAT we can expect from God on a daily basis.  Notice these SIX PROMISES OF GOD:

1. God's Presence - vv. 1-2

Psa 91:1-2 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Are you living in God's presence right now?  Are you walking with God?  Do you know what it means that God is your refuge and fortress?  Are you able to fully trust God for your situation(s) that you are facing.  As His children - are you "abiding" in the shadow of the Almighty.

One of my favorite photos that I took as a young man was of a mother hen with about 12 feet.  But it wasn't her feet - it was all her young chicks who were hiding under her wing.  They were seeking her protection and seeking her covering from those that threatened them.

Are you "hiding/ dwelling" under the covering of God's presence today?

2. God's Protection - vv. 3-4

Psa 91:34 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions,and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

Again, we are given the visual of a young chicken under the protective wings of their mother.  The enemy is trying to trap you and is trying to do violent and terrible things to you.  Your protection and your strength comes from Him who is faithful.  He is your "shield and buckler."

A shield was a body size shield that completely blocked the body and although it was movable it was quite large and heavy and often stayed stationery during a battle.. A buckler is a small hand held shield that gave the warrior a way to ward off stray arrows.

What an amazing picture! In this chapter of Psalms we have already seen that God is our refuge when we decide to draw close to Him. It is our choice to abide under "the shadow of the Almighty" (verse 1). Then in verse 3 we see what that looks like--God closes his "wings" around us to be our safe refuge. I love this imagery. He covers me and holds me in an embrace that is feather like--sweet and soft.

3. God's Peace - vv. 5-6

Psa 91:5-6 You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

I have seen first hand what fear can do to you.  I have seen how the enemy can shape your mind and heart and paralyze your ability to move forward.  To me, there is nothing more rewarding than to feel the great peace of God upon your life.  It matters not about what you are facing as long as you are safe in the arms of Jesus.

4. God's Perspective - vv. 7-10

Psa 91:7-10 A thousand may fall at your side,ten thousand at your right hand,but it will not come near you. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place—the Most High, who is my refuge — no evil shall be allowed to befall you,no plague come near your tent.

My perspective is often skewed.  I don't see exactly what I need to see.  I only see what is right before me.  But then God shows up and then God opens my eyes.  We can't stop believing just because we don't see.  Because "you have made the LORD your dwelling place... NO EVIL SHALL BE ALLOWED TO BEFALL YOU.  I pray that your eyes will be opened today.

5.  God's Provision - vv. 11-13

Psa 91:11-13 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the adder; the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

Think about the fact that God has given his angels an assignment to guard you in all your ways.  He provides - always!  He is watching after you and your needs.  He is observant to your situation.  There is no need that is greater than your God - He can and will move mountains on your behalf.

6. God's Power - vv. 14-16

Psa 91:14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

Adversity will come but God will remain steady and faithful to take care of you.  "I will deliver him; I will protect him."  Why?  Because he knows my name.  "I will answer him, I will be with him in trouble.  I will rescue him and honor him." Not just today but through out your lifetime as He says, "with long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation."

These SIX PROMISES are for every believer today.  Read them.  Speak them out loud.  Let God richly bless you with His word and may it be instilled into your heart and mind as move forward with your life and ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment