Saturday, February 15, 2014

DEALING WITH FAILURE

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. (Psalm 51:1, 2, 10-12 ESV)

Have you ever failed God? Have you ever felt like you just can't measure up to what is expected of you?  If that's the case you're in good company as it's the story of all of us.  It's the story of David also.

David was called of God and was shaped for many years to be the King of Israel.  One day, he let his guard down and had an affair with Bathsheba.  And this sin eventually led to the murder of her husband - Uriah.  God eventually sent a prophet - Nathan, to confront this sin in David's life and this Psalm becomes the confessional prayer of David in remorse over his sins.

Psalm 51 is a confession from a man who felt dirty and sinful and felt like a failure.  It is from a man who needed to repent and make things right with God.

FIVE ASPECTS TO THIS PSALM

1- David knew that his sin deserved punishment -

Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. (Psalm 51:4 ESV)

2- David recognized God's holiness and God's power - 

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (Psalm 51:7 ESV)

He recognized that he couldn't do it himself but he needed a a more holy and more powerful God that could cleanse him.

Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. (Psalm 51:9 ESV)

3- David recognized his need for God's grace - 

If you read through this Psalm you will read a lot of "me's" and "my's."

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. (Psalm 51:3, 9 ESV)

He knew that he had sinned and he knew that he needed the grace of God to help him overcome his guilt for what he had done.

4- David accepts responsibility for what he had done - 

Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. (Psalm 51:4 ESV)

Until we take ownership for our failures and for our part in the sin - we will never be able to be free that sin.  "I" sinned.  "I" did wrong. Don't blame other people.  Don't blame Satan.  Don't blame circumstances.  Look at yourself and your decision to willfully do what you've done.  You are the sinner. You are guilty. You need grace and you are fully responsible.

5- David prays that God will now use this sin and failure in his life to help others who are struggling with sin and temptation - 

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. (Psalm 51:10-13 ESV)

God used this sin in David's life to be a blessing and help to others.  Your failure and your sin can be a point of blessing to others down the road.  God will use you to touch and minister to those going through the same difficulties.

Perhaps this has been a week of failure and of getting off track.  You might still be involved in that which you know is not right.  The good news is that your Savior is waiting with open arms to you today to receive you and restore you you and bring healing to your life.  You are but one step away from the foot of the cross which leads to great peace and freedom in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment