Monday, January 2, 2017

WHAT DO YOU WANT IN 2017?


It’s just me and God this morning as I sit in my office.  It is very quiet with worship music in the background. I am thirsty for more of God. My soul is reaching out to Him for a fresh and new anointing from Him in this next year.  

I’ve been so blessed in so many ways – how can I count all the blessings.  He has never failed me in the past nor will He in the future.

Matthew 5:6 (NKJV)  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Have you ever been thirsty – really thirsty?  Do you remember those hot days when your body was parched from not having enough water?

It’s interesting – my body tells me when I’m dehydrated and in the same way – my spirit speaks to me when I’m dry spiritually need an outpouring of God onto my life both for now and for the season to come.

I’m fascinated by the Joshua Trees in the High Desert.  From what I’ve learned – they can go for a long time without water because when the rains come – they drink in gallons upon gallons of water into their branches.

You and I must be like that.  There will be seasons of dryness and aridness where there is little or no water for your soul.  When the rains comes – we need to learn to soak them in and saturate our souls.

It is interesting: When you are thirsty for God – you will do anything.  You will travel for miles to be in a church filled with the Holy Spirit.  You will arrange your schedule so you are able to listen and to receive from the Lord.

Look at David in Psalm 27:4 – 

Psalm 27:4 (NKJV)  One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple.

The woman with an issue of blood (Mark 5:25-29)  was so desperate for God that pressed through all the crowd just to be able to touch the hem of His garment.  When she did – she was immediately healed.

Paul, in Philippians, was willing to do anything that he might “know” God more and to experience His presence in his life.

Philippians 3:7-11 (NKJV) 3:7 (NKJV)  But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8  Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9  and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10  that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11  if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

In Isaiah we see the results of being thirsty for God.  It tells us that water will be poured on him who is thirsty. This water is the Spirit of God on your life.  If you are thirsty for God – God will pour out His Spirit on you.  That is personal revival – the very presence of God in your life.

Isaiah 44:3 (NKJV)  For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring;

When a person is thirsty – things like worship, prayer and seeking the Lord, fasting, going to church, loving the word are normal parts of your life and growth in the Lord.

One of the things I like about this verse in Isaiah is the promise not only for me but for the overflow upon my family.  Wouldn’t that be powerful for not only you to experience a personal revival but for your whole family to experience one as well?

John 7:37-39 (NKJV) 7:37 (NKJV)  On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38  He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." 39  But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

The phrase “living water” is translated  from the Greek as “anazao” – meaning to come again and again.

I’m hungry for that.  I don’t want it to be forced but I want it to be natural and organic – flowing from the throne of God into my life on an ongoing basis.

One of the stories I like to hear about is the Welsh Revival of 1904 – 1905.  At that time there was a young man who had been praying for revival for 11 years.  He had a real sense that God was going to pour out a mighty spirit of revival on Wales.

He prayed, “Bend me, O Lord.”

One night his pastor allowed him to speak to anyone who wanted to stay after the service.  Only 17 stayed – mostly youth and young adults.  They all ended up at the altar crying out to God until 2 AM.

That week 60 people were saved.  Over the next 1 ½ years – revival came to Wales and over 100,000 people were saved.

Bars closed down because no one was coming to them anymore.  Arrests went down because people were living an orderly life.  In fact, the policemen now came to the meeting for traffic control. 

The meetings grew to nightly meetings of thousands.

Why?  Because one young man was hungry and thirsty for more of God.

Ask yourself today – Are you thirsty – really thirsty?  Do you want a fresh move of God on your life and in your heart.  I know I do – for myself, my family, my community and my church.

Let’s press in for “more of God” in 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment