Monday, January 16, 2017

HOW FULL IS YOUR WELL?


Isaiah 12:3 (NKJV)  Therefore with joy you will draw water From the wells of salvation.

Have you ever felt anxious in your life?  Overwhelmed?  Un-peaceful?  Angry?  Depressed?  Hopeless?  I think all of us would say that at one time or another we feel this way in our lives.

As a young man – whenever I would mention to my dad that I was feeling any of those things – the first thing he would ask me is “How is your prayer life.”  He used this scripture often in his own life and in teaching others about having a well that was full.

He would go on to tell me or anyone else listening that when I pull from my well of joy to deal with my anxieties and problems – it’s all fine as long as my reservoir is full and running over.

But if I pull from my well and it is bone dry – that’s when we deal with frustration and depression and all sorts of other negative feelings.

The misnomer is this: that it is only God’s responsibility only to fill my well.  The truth is this – God is willing to fill and overflow our wells but it is up to us to be the funnel to capture all the blessings of the Lord.

This comes through prayer – much prayer.

Things can be going really well in my life but I can sometimes sense that I’m a little off in my insides.  It doesn’t mean that you or I are in deep sin or rebellion or walking away from God.

It’s just that you need to recalibrate your signal toward God.  

It’s a lot like the calibration that you would have to do on your cable dish or antenna in your home.  To be off by the smallest amount could lose your signal.

When we partook in the fast this last week I asked the Lord to recalibrate my life and help me to be totally focused on Him and His perfect will for my life.

It’s not always easy.  Our flesh strongly pulls us away from that fine tuning and insists on doing anything in its power to pull us away from that closeness and intimacy with God.

Look at this verse and it will help you to have some context of what I’m saying…

Philippians 4:6-7 (NKJV) Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7  and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

You see, there is much power that is available to us but we have to become the conduit for those blessing to come into our lives.

I venture to say that many people don’t have a well of joy that is full because they’ve allowed the circumstances of life to drain and have not been purposeful in refilling their well.

Yes, God wants fill us – even to overflowing but we have to be intentional – very intentional about keeping it filled.

May I encourage you today to stop and and check your joy level gauge on your life.  If you are honest – you will immediately know if you are full, half full or on empty.

God is waiting for you right now to bless and fill you with His joy and peace and especially with His presence in your life.

What are you waiting for?




No comments:

Post a Comment