Wednesday, February 17, 2016

THE NECESSITY OF FORGETFULNESS


I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,” Philippians‬ ‭3:12-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Do you have a problem remembering things?  I know I do.  Every morning a new adventure begins as I look for my keys because I left them in a difference place the night before.  When it comes to people, I remember faces but sometimes I forget names.  People tell me things and I forget the details and have to be reminded again. 

To remember vividly we must focus all our attention on that detail and keep it at the foremost part of our minds.

We are told by those who study the mind that nothing is ever totally forgotten.  The things we have done, said, heard or seen are forever stored in our mind somewhere - we just don’t remember where.

Sometime, even without deliberate effort on our part - something will happen that will revive that memory (even from decades ago) to the front part of your mind.  You wonder, ‘where did that come from?’

There are two sides to the coin of memory - that which we need to remember and that which we need to forget.  This could determine blessing or destruction to your future life on earth.

THINGS TO REMEMBER

1. The Goodness And Faithfulness Of God.


Let all that I am praise the LORD; may I never forget the good things he does for me.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭103:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

 2. The Kindness Of Others.

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Philippians‬ ‭4:8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

3. The Truths That Make Life Worth Living.

4. The Warnings Of Both God And Man.

THINGS TO FORGET


1. Past Successes.

We should be thankful for past blessings and successes but we must be watchful that we are not only looking back but that we are looking forward also.

Paul had many achievements to be thankful for - great pastor, apostle, missionary, author, and evangelist, etc.  But he still hadn’t arrived.  He had much to look forward to

 2. We Need To Forget Past Failures.

Not all of us have been successful.  Some of us have been failures in our personal life and in our business.  Some have been failures in their families and in their spiritual walk with God.

The truth is - we have all failed.

Peter failed the Lord miserably by denying Him  three times.  What about Jonah?  Paul? Etc.

3.  We Need To Forget Our Past Grievances And Grudges.

Do you keep a list of your resentments?  Do you plan to lug around all your grudges everywhere you go?  Are you angry with your spouse or your parents?  Are you angry with God because your life is not how you hoped it would be?

For your own sanity - let it go now!

4. We Need To Forget All Our Handicaps.

We all have handicaps - we just don’t admit it.  We must refuse to look for an alibi in life.

Even Paul the apostle had a handicap - “a thorn in the flesh.”  This only made him trust in God more.

Charles Spurgeon, one of the greatest preachers of all times, had a bed ridden wife.

L.B. Cohen, author of Streams In The Desert, was pressed into writing her thoughts after the death of her husband.

Aimee Semple McPherson, great early century evangelist, had two handicaps - 1- a bad kidney and 2- she was a woman.

Mother Heidner, a great leader in the church, was told at 18 that she had an enlarged heart and would only live 3 more months.  She died when she was over 90 years old.

5. We Need To Forget Our Fears.

Our fear of tomorrow, fear of death, fear of failure, etc.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy‬ ‭1:7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

It’s time to forget the past and move forward to God’s plan for our future.

I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,” Philippians‬ ‭3:12-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬


No comments:

Post a Comment