Tuesday, April 14, 2015

WHY IS LIFE SO HARD AT TIMES?

GOD ’s business is putting things right; he loves getting the lines straight, Setting us straight. Once we’re standing tall, we can look him straight in the eye. (‭Psalm‬ ‭11‬:‭7‬ MSG)

I think it was Rick Warren who said that God is more interested in your character than your comfort.  In other words, God will sometimes allow us to go through stuff to test and prove us in our Christian life.


I will never forget my dad telling me that just because I had grown up in the church and was privileged to be his son in a Christian Home - that I would still have to go through some difficulties and valley's in my maturing process.  I thought he was kidding and that I would get a "fastpass."  


Now, as I look back on my life I realize those words were right on point. God has not allowed me to take any shortcuts and has made sure that "the lines are straight so that I can stand tall and look Him in the eye." (Para)


An old favorite hymn, How Firm A Foundation, has a 4th verse that goes like this: “The soul that hath leaned on Jesus for repose, I will not, I will not desert to His foes; That soul, through all hell should endeavor to shake, I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.


It's in the difficulty and trial that we become stronger and stronger in the Lord.


I had a friend who decided to help a chicken with the hatching of her eggs.  He took one of the eggs that was beginning to hatch and slowly took the shell off the egg to help the newborn to not have to struggle as much.  To his dismay, the chicken soon died because its in the struggle that he would be strong enough to live.


James says it well...Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. (James 1:2-4 NLT)


I must look at each adversity as an opportunity for growth.  Through this experience I can become bitter or better.  I can choose to walk in the Spirit or give over to my ugly flesh.


It is interesting, the tiles that are used on the nose cone of a space shuttle are subjected to all kinds of testings.  The purpose of the test is not to destroy the tiles but to prove their worth.  Those doing the tests wanted to know if they would stand up under extreme heat and pressure as the spacecraft reentered the atmosphere.


In the same way, God allows us to go through testings - not to destroy us but to prove our worth to God and to ourselves.  The testings prove to me the faithfulness of God when I cling to Him and His promises.


Even Jesus was tempted (tried) by the devil in order to be tested.  The same could be said of Abraham, Joseph, Peter and Job.  All were tested by God to bring character and holiness into their lives.


I like what James says later on in chapter 1 - Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. (‭James‬ ‭1‬:‭12‬ ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment