Friday, January 23, 2015

WRESTLING WITH GOD


The same night he arose and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. He took them and sent them across the stream, and everything else that he had. And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. (‭Genesis‬ ‭32‬:‭22-25‬ ESV)

There comes a time in everyone's journey where they end up wrestling with God.  It is usually over some correction or direction that the Lord intends to bring into our lives.  To be honest, it is during these times that life is plain difficult.  Everywhere you turn - God is pursuing you. Every  thought you have goes right back to you and God and what He's asking of you.

I've had many wrestling moments with God - over major decisions in life to even the smallest thing like apologizing to someone for some wrong I've done.  None of it is pleasant.

Psalm 119 helps us in understand how God works with us during this season of life.  Over and over David uses the word "affliction" as a method for God to get our attention.  Look at these verses with me.  Study them slowly and see the lessons that God is bringing your way.

Psalm 119:49-50 - Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.

Affliction brings hope and life to a person who goes through it.

Psalm 119:67 - Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word.

Do you remember as a child getting a spanking for some wrong you did?  I certainly do.  I got plenty. It became constant reminder of what was in store for me down the road if I continued in that sin.

Psalm 119:71 - It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.

I've never thought affliction was a good thing - especially when I'm going through the disciplinary process.  But it is during those times that I learn what God desires and wants in my life.

Psalm 119:75 - I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.

God disciplines me because He loves me.

Psalm 119:92-94 If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life. I am yours; save me, for I have sought your precepts.
The affliction ultimately brings life to me.

Psalm 119:107 - I am severely afflicted; give me life, O Lord, according to your word!
Severely afflicted!  Really?  Yep.  There are times that God will go to great measures to get our attention.

Psalm 119:153-154 - Look on my affliction and deliver me, for I do not forget your law. Plead my cause and redeem me; give me life according to your promise!

God is always there.  He's just waiting for you to call on Him.

Here's the reality - GOD ALWAYS WINS!  You will never win.  Either you choose to live in your misery (the longer you resist - the longer you will be miserable) or you finally choose to surrender to the perfect will of God.

As a seasoned person in the faith, I tell you all of this by experience - mine and that of observing others.  I see the choices people make and the sins they choose to participate in.  I often just shake my head thinking, "They could have had so much more in life.  Why do they continue go around and around that tree over and and over again."

After wrestling with God all night, the angel dislocated Jacob's hip - a reminder of the night he wrestled with God.  It was a reminder to him for the rest of his life that he fought with God and lost.

Are you wrestling with God right now?  Are you experiencing the "discipline of the Lord through affliction?  Do you have handicaps or scars from the past that remind you of that time you and God had it out?  I think we all do.  And here's the rub, It will happen again and again during our journey on earth.  None of us are perfect and will all need a good beating every once in a while to bring us under His dominion and rule in our lives.  I pray that you would get and receive this lesson today and surrender to what God is seeking for in your life.  Quit wrestling with the one who loves you the most and knows what is best for you now and for the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment