Monday, January 26, 2015

WHY IS WAITING SO HARD?


And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?” Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you. You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word; only in regard to the throne will I be greater than you.” (‭Genesis‬ ‭41‬:‭38-40‬ NKJV)

Have you ever held on to a promise from God that has taken months and even years to come to pass?  I know I have... many times over.

Joseph was man who had a similar experience in that he had to wait for 16 years for the promises of God to come to fruition.

Look at the events of Joseph's life.

There is lots of information about Joseph in Genesis chapters 40-41. For instance we know...
  • He was 17 when he was sold into Egypt
  • He was 30 when he was made overseer
  • He was 39 when his brothers first came to Egypt (second year of the famine, or nine years after being made overseer)
  • He was probably 41 or so when the brothers came a second time and Jacob comes to Egypt
  • He was 110 when he died

In Genesis 41:46 we learn that Joseph was 30 when he was made overseer to the king of Egypt. Since he was 17 when he was sold into Egypt, that means he spent 13 years total in Potiphar's house and in prison. So he lived in Potiphar’s house 11 years or less and was in prison 2 or more years. We know Joseph was in prison at least 2 years because chapter 40 tells us about the servants of the king whose dreams Joseph interpreted. The first verse of chapter 41 tells us that 2 years passed after that event before the king had his dreams that Joseph was called to interpret.

That's 16+ years!

Eventually, Joseph interprets the dreams for Pharaoh who then places him as 2nd in command over Egypt.

That's a lot of waiting.

My wife has told me often that I was a Joseph in life.  Many promises had been spoken over me throughout my younger years.  I would whine and whine that God was not coming through and I was not seeing what God had promised us.  I would look at others around me and wonder why they were being promoted faster than myself.

I remember complaining to my dad one day and he looked at me and said, "It is simple, God is not allowing you to take shortcuts.  He is allowing it to be hard and difficult so that you can build up character."  He went on to say, "Your fruit will be long-lasting and have a generational impact."

Yes, waiting is hard but so worth it.  When God's plan come together, we look back and say - "God knew what was best for my life."

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27:14 NIV)

I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. (Psalm 130:5, 6 NIV)

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. (Psalm 40:1 NIV)

Lord, I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God. (Psalm 38:15 NIV)

Don't give up today, don't allow your heart to be dismayed.  Ask God to strengthen your life in the waiting season.  Your time will come and your wait will be over.  It will be worth it - guaranteed.

For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. (‭Habakkuk‬ ‭2‬:‭3‬ NKJV)   

No comments:

Post a Comment