Thursday, October 2, 2014

THE BEAUTY OF ADVERSITY

The mountains quake before him; the hills melt; the earth heaves before him, the world and all who dwell in it. (‭Nahum‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬ ESV)



For the past week Denise and I have been in Lake Tahoe.  It has been a time of rest and refreshing and of introspection of my own life.  It has been a time of study and preparation for my next season of preaching at New Life Chapel.

My view as I study every morning is the beautiful fall foilage with a backdrop of Heavenly Ski Resort in the background with dustings of snow on the High Peaks.

Beautiful.  Inspiring.  Breathtaking.

I was reminded this morning of a book I read some time ago called THE NORTH FACE OF GOD by Ken Gire. It was a comparison of the mountains and plains of Colorado.


He went on to talk about how the mountains were created - through much adversity and turmoil. The beautiful peaks came through volcanic eruptions and explosions that created these beautiful peaks and valleys that people love to enjoy.

On the other hand, there are the plains of Colorado.  They are beautiful in their own way but not as beautiful as the mountains.  They didn't have the turmoil and adversity.  They don't have the beautiful vista's and streams that rush down. As a result - they remained rather "plain" and flat.  People still come and visit them but not like people do in the mountains.

People are drawn to the beauty of the mountains.

The analogy that was brought forth was that the adversity and turmoil of our lives will someday turn into something beautiful.  People will be drawn to your story of hardships and difficulty.  People will be inspired by where you've been and how you turned out.  People will stand on your peaks someday and say, "I can see so far because of what you have gone through in life."

God is using the all the adversity of your life to be used to bless many other people.

Bill Gaither wrote a song a number of years ago called SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL.  Here are the lyrics:

Something beautiful, something good - All my confusion He understood
All I had to offer Him was brokenness and strife
But he made something beautiful of my life.

If there ever were dreams
That were lofty and noble
They were my dreams at the start
And hope for life's best were the hopes
That I harbor down deep in my heart
But my dreams turned to ashes
And my castles all crumbled, my fortune turned to loss
So I wrapped it all in the rags of life
And laid it at the cross.

Something beautiful, something good

All my confusion He understood
All I had to offer Him was brokenness and strife
But he made something beautiful of my life.

God is not done with you.  His plan is good for you and He still wants to do great things in your life as you trust Him fully in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment