Monday, October 27, 2014

THE GOD OF THE IMPOSSIBLE

Luke 18:27 (ESV) 27  But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”




The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island.  He prayed fervently for God to rescue him.  Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but no hope in sight.  Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions.  One day, after scavenging for food, he arrive home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky.  The worst had happened - everything was lost.  He was stunned with grief and anger.  "God, how could you do this to me," he cried.  Early the next day, however, he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island.  It had come to rescue him.  He asked, "How did you know I was here?"  The rescuers replied, "We saw the smoke coming from your island."

It is easy to get discouraged when things are going badly. But we should not lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering.  Remember, next time your little hut is burning to the ground; it just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of God.

Yesterday, I prayed with a young lady who explained that her life was in ruins and wondered why God had allowed her to go through this great trial.  I explained to her that God was allowing this to happen to get her attention and that He wanted to be the first person that she went to and not the last resort.


I often am asked the question of “why” things are happening the way that they do.  And, to be honest,I don’t always have the answers for them or even for myself.

My problem is this; I only see the right now.  I only see my current circumstances and not the big picture.  I don’t have God eyes.  I can’t see the bigger scheme of things.

But years of experience have taught me this – God hasn’t written the last line in regards to my life.  The “situations” or the “problems” that I face are under the blood and grace of the Lord Jesus.  He knows what is best and knows the timing of things.  He knows when to turn it around.

I look back on some of those hard places in my past and realize that even now God is using it for His greater glory.

Earlier in the Book of Luke – Mary, the mother of Jesus was approached by an angel  that she would be the mother of Jesus – God’s son.  Her first response was “No way, how could that happen? I’m still a virgin.”

Notice how the angel responded to her…

Luke 1:37 (ESV) 37  For nothing will be impossible with God.”

Often we are faced with insurmountable circumstances and decisions that lay before us.  We cry out to God only to hear our own voice in return.  God always waits for the right time to intervene.

When the friend of Jesus, Lazarus died – the Bible states that they waited two days to go.  Why - because God wanted this to be a miracle that would ultimately glorify God.  Lazarus wasn’t just dead – he was DEAD.  When Jesus brought him back to life – people knew it was a miracle.

No matter what you are facing today – ask God to help you see through His eyes and to trust Him that He knows the right time and place for your deliverance.  God still sees.  

God still hears.  He hasn’t forgotten you.  And yes, God is still the God of the impossible.


No comments:

Post a Comment