Monday, June 2, 2014

THE GOD WHO DWELLS IN DARKNESS

Then Solomon said, “The Lord has said that he would dwell in thick darkness. (1 Kings 8:12 ESV & 2 Chronicles 6:1)
He bowed the heavens and came down; thick darkness was under his feet. He rode on a cherub and flew; he came swiftly on the wings of the wind. He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him, thick clouds dark with water. (Psalm 18:9-11 ESV)
I number of years ago I heard a sermon that stuck with me. I don't remember the title or main points but theme has been close to my heart over the years - "The God Who Dwells In Darkness."
At first, this seems like a paradox in that it is opposite of everything else in the scripture - that "God is light and dwells in light" (1 Timothy 6:16, etc.).
But this is not the darkness of evil that God dwells in but is the darkness of mystery. At times - God's ways are hidden to us - they are dark. His counsels are unsearchable, His glory is invisible and His ways are not always known or understood by us. And yet, when he reveals Himself - the thick clouds pass away (v.12) and light is shown upon our path and upon our situations.
I can't tell you how many times I felt like the ways of God were dark to me. I would pray and pray and things would now be revealed and situations would not be broken. In fact, it seems that things would just get worse. Then the light came and broke away all the confusion and misunderstanding. With just a word, confidence was restored and comfort was received.
A young woman came up to me after church yesterday crying. I was aware of her situation and the issues that she has been dealing with. For months now she has been in much distress and confusion. But then God showed up during the sermon and filled her with His love and filled her with hope. His ways had been are are still a place of darkness to her but she had a great peace fill her soul that God was going to work it all out in His timing and in His way. Light came.
When I read that God wraps Himself in darkness - I really see that as Him wrapping Himself all around that concerns me. He controls the darkness in my life and He controls the light. He knows what is best and right for me. His mysteries are revealed to me at the right season and at the right time. He makes known how much light and revelation comes my way.
I like what the prophet Micah has to say...
But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me. (Micah 7:7, 8 ESV)
It's in the darkness that I seek God. It's in the darkness that I realize that I can't do it alone and that I need His help and strength. It's in the darkness that I come to know myself and I come to know my God. It's in the darkness I seek for answers and direction for my life.
And I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, Who calls you by your name. (Isaiah 45:3 AMP)
I woke up at 3:30 AM this morning and came into my office to seek The Lord. As I began to seek His face - these thoughts began to flow through my mind and heart about THE GOD WHO DWELLS IN DARKNESS. This blog is for someone today. You are walking through a very dark corridor and barely able to distinguish the light. You wonder if there is an answer out there and you wonder if God really has the answer for your situation. The fact that you are reading this is an indication that you are a seeker of deeper things and want to know the heart of God. You might be sitting in darkness right now but know this - God has heard your cry and is bringing the light of understanding your way. Don't give up and don't despair. God's got this and your life is in the palm of His hands. Trust Him today and He will lead you through to the other side.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:1-6 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment