Tuesday, June 24, 2014

ENDING WELL

As I was reading my devotions this morning I looked at the passage (1 Kings 15, 2 Chronicles 13-16) and thought "How boring." It is part of a detailed passage of war between Israel's north and south. Little did I realize at the time the wealth of spiritual insight that would be released through these passages.


2 Chronicles 14 tells of one million men led by Zerah the Ethiopian coming against Asa (a leader in Judah - Israel's southern territory) who only had 300,000 men. I realize that the numbers are perhaps an exaggeration and aren't really exact but I think the obvious is seen here - the good guys very greatly outnumbered in battle.


Asa and the people of Judah cry out to God and "The Lord defeated the Ethiopians... and the Ethiopians fled."


This is one massive victory that barely has but a few lines of scripture attributed to it.


A prophet named Obed goes out to meet Asa after the great victory over the Ethiopians with a simple reminder that this battle was from The Lord and not by his own power.


....“Hear me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin: The Lord is with you while you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. (2 Chronicles 15:2 ESV)


This is where it gets complicated. Apparently Asa did "not" remember The Lord in the last portion of his life and didn't end well. After several years, he returns to his old ways and leadership patterns by relying on man rather than God (2 Chronicles 16:7-12).


Again, the prophet shows up to confront him and he ends up getting angry and puts them in jail. 

2 Chronicles 16:10 states that he also became a very oppressive leader to the people of Judah and he died a very shallow man and did not finish up well in life.


This begs a very personal question - "How is my life going and am I doing what God has assigned for me to do in life? And, will I end up well in regards to my personal life, my family and my ministry assignment as a pastor and leader?"


Sadly, Asa stands with the majority of leaders in the Bible who did not end up well.


DAVID was an anointed king, mighty warrior and musician of The Lord. He faithful and a loyal man of God. He was a great leader who made preparations for the temple.  


Yet... look at how his life ended - disloyal to his men, committed adultery, committed murder, tried to cover his sins. As a result, he brought judgment on his family.


Another example is in the leader SOLOMON. Again, he was an anointed king and a humble person of prayer. He was a temple builder. He acquired great wealth and wisdom and authored anointed proverbs and songs.  


Yet...like David, his life did not end well. He turned his heart from God and became an idol worshipper. He bought into vain philosophy and selfishly sinned against The Lord and he sought to kill Jeroboam.


As I look over these passages I am reminded that God has an assignment for me that requires full attention until the day I breathe my "last" breath. I cannot count on past victories or success but must remain focused and faithful till the time my life is ended on earth.


David, Solomon and Asa are all my teachers today. God used and blessed them mightily - yet, they failed to follow God's assignment in the latter years of their life and didn't follow God fully to the end.


It's not always easy to make the right decisions and to continue to walk faithfully. Yet, it is the right thing to do.


I'm not perfect and I have failed in many things in life. However, I have been faithful to God and to my family and to myself. I have led my church with integrity and look forward to a continued season of blessing and ministry in life.


Whether my time on earth is long or short - MY GREAT DESIRE IS TO END WELL. I want to be one of those Christians for whom The Lord speaks over and says, "Well done, good and faithful servant - enter into the joy of The Lord. I want to end well!

No comments:

Post a Comment