Wednesday, April 23, 2014

WHEN CIRCUMSTANCES DON'T GO YOUR WAY

One thing I've learned throughout life is this - I'm not God and I don't determine what happens to my life.  I am though responsible for how I handle my reactions to the different circumstances that come my way.

I've also learned some principles that help me in how I handle life and what is thrown my way.  I'm not perfect but in doing the following things I think you will be able to face any obstacle that might be thrown your way.

1. Trust The Sovereignty Of God

Definition: Sovereignty means that God, as the ruler of the Universe, has the right to do whatever he wants. Further, he is in complete control over everything that happens.

Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases. (Psalm 115:3 ESV)

As I sat in the hospital waiting room while my grandson was fighting for his life I had to come to terms with this principle, either God was God or He wasn't.  As hard as it was - I couldn't question God or His decision to allow my grandson to die.

Many circumstances have come and gone in my life but each and every time I've had to remind myself of the absolute sovereignty of God.

2. Train Your Eyes To See The Potential Around You

Look for evidence of God’s presence not His absence in your everyday life.  As human beings we tend to look at the negative and not the positive.  We tend to see the bad side of life and not the good. What is your eye trained to look at?  Do you see light or do you see darkness?  We need to retrain our eyes to see what God sees.

“The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (Matthew 6:22, 23 ESV)

3. Use Well The The Authority Given To You

For this reason I write these things while I am away from you, that use of the authority that the Lord has given me for building up and not for tearing down. (2 Corinthians 13:10 ESV)

A lot of people don’t use the authority given them in good way – especially when things are not going our way.  Notice what he says…  Build up and don’t tear down.  Be a servant to others. Learn to use the authority that God has given you to speak encouragement to others. God’s authority in your life comes through building others up.  Serve others. When you’re being pushed and pressured – just start serving others.

4. Do What You Can With What You Have

What can you do right now?  Don’t wait for the perfect moment or situation.

He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap. (Ecclesiastes 11:4 ESV)


You will never have perfect conditions.  There will always be obstacles in your way. Do what you can right now with what you have.You say…  I don’t have much.  I can’t do much.  I have too many problems. If God is in it and you are not able to do it – THEN HE WILL COME THROUGH WITH A MIRACLE.

And he cried to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a log, and he threw it into the water, and the water became sweet. There the Lord made for them a statute and a rule, and there he tested them, (Exodus 15:25 ESV)

5. Don't Compare Yourself To Others

You are uniquely you.  God created you and you don't have to compare yourself to others.  This will be a hinderance every time.  Take what you have and use it for God's glory and don't allow that to be a blockage to God's plans for your life.

Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding. (2 Corinthians 10:12 ESV)

Though times may be tough and the road real rough - just believe
Though you've cried many tears and waited many years - just believe
God said He will - so just be still and believe
For God will truly do what He promised you - if you just believe
Just belive in His Word - trust in what you've heard
Just believe when your heart is broken and recall what He's spoken - just believe
For God cannot lie so don't ask why - just believe
Let fear fade away and let your soul just say - I believe

No comments:

Post a Comment