Tuesday, April 1, 2014

SENSING GOD IN THE STORM

It was very windy last night and the weather report states that it will be stormy all day today.  As I was contemplating about the weather I began also to think about the storms of life that we must all face.  No one is exempt and no one can avoid them.  They are inevitable and they are powerful at times.  They force us to make changes in our routines and schedules and they also help us to look at WHO we really trust in or not.

Archibald Rutledge tells the story of looking out his window and watching a bird build a nest. He spent the better part of a day watching the scene. During the night, a bad storm came. Rutledge went to the window the next morning to see how the bird’s nest had survived the storm, and it hadn’t. It was down on the ground, torn apart and shattered. But then his eyes saw the bird. And it wasn’t mourning or standing beside that devastated home. Instead, the bird was back in the tree, laboring, building another nest. 


Scott Peck in his book, The Road Less Traveled, opens it up with these three words: "Life is hard."

There's a passage of scripture in John 13 where Peter says... "Lord, if all the other disciples leave you and run away from you, I want you to know you can count on me. I’ll stand beside you."  And yet, a few chapters down the road - he denies Christ 3 times.

HOW JESUS PREPARES US FOR THE STORM:

1. He Let's Us See The Clouds

The first thing Jesus does for his children when there is a storm approaching is let us see the gathering of the storm. He doesn’t allow the storm to just catch us unaware, where all of a sudden we’re out in the midst of it, getting battered and blown, with no clue what happened. He begins to prepare His people when they’re entering into what I call the "storm stage" of life. 



I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away. They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God. And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me. But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you. “I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. (John 16:1-4 ESV)



2. He Assures Us That He Has Our Best Interests In Mind

He assures us that when the storm comes in our life, He has our best interests in mind.

But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:6, 7 ESV)

Basically he was saying… “I want you to understand that this storm that you’re about to encounter is what’s best for you.

"

Honestly – when you’re in the middle of a storm – How many feel that it’s best for you? Do you remember when your parents used to discipline you and tell you it’s for your good? I never bought that as a kid. After discipling me – they always spent time telling me that they loved me.

3. He Sends The Holy Spirit To Minister To Us. 

He sends the "Paraclete," or "one who walks alongside of us." He sends the Holy Spirit to minister to us and to comfort us during this very dark time in our lives.

Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7 ESV)

4. He Gives Us Enough Light For Today

A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me.” So some of his disciples said to one another, “What is this that he says to us, ‘A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me’; and, ‘because I am going to the Father’ ?” (John 16:16, 17 ESV)

When he prepares us for the storm, He gives us just enough light. 

When you get in your car at night and turn on your lights – you don’t have enough light to see all the way to your house.  You have to use the light that is front of you – that is available to you. The light from the car gives you what you need at that moment.

That’s the same way it is during the storm. Jesus gives us just enough light to see where our next step is to be.


6. He Gives Us Courage In Spite Of Our Circumstances 

Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:31-33 ESV)



STATEMENT ABOUT STORMS:



1. Storms Allow Us To See Ourselves

Adversity has a way of introducing us to our real self. We live in a cosmetic world. People are bouncing through life, never willing to allow the storms to stop them long enough to get a real perspective of who they are and what they’re encountering. The storms of life have a way of knocking the props out from under us and helping us see ourselves as we really are.

2. Storms Are Times Of Restoration. 

They are times, if I allow them to be, of renewal. They are times that allow me to draw real close to God. 
Storms have a way of bring us back to intimacy with the Father. When we go through the storms of life, we don’t walk around independently and arrogantly and just kind of flipping life off. When we’re really hurting in life, we want to get as close to God as possible. We want to sit at His feet.



3. Storms Can Bring Spiritual Growth In Our Life

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11 ESV)
  • They bring us into conformity with him. 
  • They bring happiness in our Christian experience. 
  • They yield the fruit of righteousness. 
  • They glorify God. 
  • They produce praise, glory, and honor to Him. 
Do you notice when the peaceful fruit of righteousness comes? It’s after the storm.
  • So the sculptor cuts, and afterwards there’s a perfect image. 
  • So the potter presses the clay and afterwards, a beautiful vase. 
  • So the jeweler grinds and polishes the stone and afterwards, a beautiful gem. 
Now, I don’t know about you, but even though I realize I’m being polished by God in the storm, I will honestly admit to you that I always think the storm should be done before it’s done.

Do you relate to this? I’ve never had a storm of life where when God was finished.  I’ve never said, "Oh, I think I need a little more." Never have I thought, "God, could you put me back on the table and do a little bit more operating? No, about halfway through the operation I’m getting up and saying, "Thanks, God, we fixed it."  And God says, "Get back on the table. We haven’t fixed anything yet. You’re so far from being what I want you to be."


If you are facing any storms in your personal life right now - trust God that He knows what is best for you and how long this storm will endure.  Lay down your worry, anxiety, stress and anger.  Turn to God fully and trust Him as the "author and finisher of your faith."  May you come out as Job describes -  "pure gold."

But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold. (Job 23:10 ESV)

Job 23:10 (NLT) 10 “But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold. 

  • Do you think that there is any storm that touches your life that God doesn’t know about? 
  • Do you think there is any storm that touches your life that God cannot handle? 

  • Do you think that there is any storm that touches your life that doesn’t have a purpose? Do you think that there is any storm that touches your life that shouldn’t teach you something about you? 
  • Do you think that there is any storm that touches your life that shouldn’t teach you something about your Lord? 
I love what the Psalmist David declared during His storms.  It should be your declaration also.

He says that God is my King. He’s the Glory and the Lifter of my head. He’s righteous, and He is my Lord. He’s my Strength. He’s my Rock. He’s my Fortress. He’s my Deliverance. He’s my Shield. He’s my Stronghold. He’s my Support. He’s my Savior. He’s my Redeemer. He’s my Shepherd. He’s my Light. He’s my Salvation. He is my Help. He is my Hiding Place. He is my Delight. He is my Refuge in time of trouble. He is my Lover. He is my strong Tower. He is my Deliverer. He is my Father. He is my Portion. He is my Comfort." 



(Insights from Max Lucado)

No comments:

Post a Comment