Monday, December 7, 2015

HOW TO BE A HAPPY SATISFIED CHRISTIAN


For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (‭Romans‬ ‭11‬:‭29‬ ESV)


I was talking to someone the other day who admitted that they were mad at God because God wasn't doing something their way.  They had taken four gift test analysis and they all came out with the same result - exacty what this person didn't want to be.  


I think we can all relate.  There is a Jonah in all of us that wants to go one way when God wants us to go another.


This reminds me of a story that I heard a long time ago of a saleman in ancient times who always came out of his house each morning and lifted some grass to see which way the wind would blow it.  When he saw which way the wind was blowing he then took off in that direction to take care of his business.  


One day he came out and lifted the grass once, then twice and finally a third time.  One of his neighbors asked him why he didn't follow the wind and his response was this, "The wind is going one direction and I want to go another."


The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭9‬ ESV)


Man plans and designs his paths but ultimately we will be most happy and fulfilled when we follow God's plans for our lives.


I know personally that I have struggled in this area over things that God wanted me to do or places that God wanted me to go and even people God wanted me to talk to.


We often look at this verse and think that God is referring to something big and grandeur like moving to another country to be a missionary or to be a pastor.  Those are wonderful callings and have great reward but I think that the context of these verse speak about the little day by day obedience issues that develop the character of God within us.


Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭19‬:‭21‬ ESV)


People often ask me about how to know God's will for their lives.  They are sincere and truly want to know the answer but I often feel that they are like the salesman lifting the grass a bunch of times because they don't like the answer they are getting.


A very religious man was once caught in rising floodwaters. He climbed onto the roof of his house and trusted God to rescue him. A neighbour came by in a canoe and said, “The waters will soon be above your house. Hop in and we’ll paddle to safety.

“No thanks” replied the religious man. “I’ve prayed to God and I’m sure he will save me”

A short time later the police came by in a boat. “The waters will soon be above your house. Hop in and we’ll take you to safety.”

“No thanks” replied the religious man. “I’ve prayed to God and I’m sure he will save me”

A little time later a rescue services helicopter hovered overhead, let down a rope ladder and said. “The waters will soon be above your house. Climb the ladder and we’ll fly you to safety.”

“No thanks” replied the religious man. “I’ve prayed to God and I’m sure he will save me”

All this time the floodwaters continued to rise, until soon they reached above the roof and the religious man drowned. When he arrived at heaven he demanded an audience with God. Ushered into God’s throne room he said, “Lord, why am I here in heaven? I prayed for you to save me, I trusted you to save me from that flood.”

“Yes you did my child” replied the Lord. “And I sent you a canoe, a boat and a helicopter. But you never got in.”


May I encourage you today to follow earnestly the path that God has set before you that you might be everything God wants you to be.


One of my most favorite sayings is by John Piper - "God is most glorified when in us we we are most satisfied with Him."

Let that sink into your spirit today as you seek to follow Him fully in every aspect of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment