Monday, October 12, 2015

ARE YOU CARRYING A BURDEN?


“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”” Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We all have burdens. Some have a physical handicap, chronic sickness, or some abnormality you cannot change.

Some have spiritual burdens. It may be that “Hurricane Satan” has struck your life and the surge of sin has soaked your soul, and now you are suffering spiritual consequences.

Some have emotional burdens like depression or anxiety, a heartache over some loss, or a financial reversal.

I once heard of a Chinese woman lost her dear son and could not find comfort.  She went to wise old man and asked what to do.  He said “go to a home that has no sorrow or grief, and bring back a mustard seed, and I will restore your son."  Several days went by, and she returned and said, “I have been so selfish in my grief…sorrow is common to every home.”

We all have problems and cares, and they weigh down upon us like a burden on the back.

We don’t all have wealth, but we all have burdens…

Every day of life here on earth brings to us it’s own assortment of burdens, and we will be blessed to study God’s answer to the question, “What do I do with my burdens?”

1. Some burdens are meant to be shared [by others]

Sorrows.  Failures. Grief.  Disappointment.  These things will eventually visit the house of every person on earth.

One of the reasons that God allows sorrows to come to us…so we can be comforted, and then in turn comfort others in need once we’ve been thru it.

He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” 2 Corinthians‬ ‭1:4‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Let’s not wallow in self-pity and allow our tragedies to be wasted…God wants to use them for good in others. Many of you have been thru things that uniquely qualify you to help others I cannot help!

2. Some burdens are meant to be shouldered [alone]

The consequences of your sin is something you have to shoulder yourself.

We live in a day and time in which people want to sin and ignore the consequences [avoid them].  People want to blame others and pass the buck.  They don't want to be accountable for their sins.

The reality is this: You can choose to sin but you can choose the consequences! We have a free will, and so does God when He reads our meter!

Everyone reading this today will someday stand before God…alone! I cannot stand with you and no one with me. Your parents won’t be beside you or your attorney. We will all have to give an account.

3. Some burdens are meant to be shed

Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.”‭Psalms‬ ‭55:22‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Jesus is our great burden bearer. Sometimes we cling to a burden and try to carry it ourselves. We can be deceived into thinking God wants us to carry something by ourselves as if we are somehow serving God by doing so…but some burdens He wants to carry for us, if we’ll let Him.

When it’s more than you can bear and you don’t think you can take another step, you can lay it on Jesus. 

For some reason, sometimes we feel like we can make it ourselves. But there are times when we need to let go and let God!

One of these two things will happen when we cast our burden on the Lord:

-The Lord will lift the burden

I’ve seen people have a health need, and they pray, and it goes away. They have a financial need…and God provides the money. 

It’s always great when that’s how it happens. But that’s not always how God works…

Look again at Ps. 55:22 which says, “and He take care of you.”

It doesn't promise that God will take away the burden but it does promise that will take care of you or "sustain" you.

- God will pick you up and carry you. "He will not permit the godly to slip or fall."

Paul prayed 3x's for God to take away the burden and each time God reminded him that He would give him the grace to go through this.

Some of you are getting bitter toward God because you’ve asked Him to lift your burden and it doesn’t seem that He has…but please realize it may be His will to lift you up, and carry you and that burden through it all. But when we throw a perpetual pity party we don’t allow Him to carry us or the burden either!

I love the old chorus - “I must tell Jesus, all of my trials, I cannot bear these burdens alone in my distress He kindly will help me, He ever loves and cares for His own.”

Whatever burden you might have today can be put under the blood and protection of Jesus Christ.  He says, "...For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment