Monday, July 27, 2015

HOW GOD WORKS FOR GOOD FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM

One of the most encouraging verses in the entire Bible is found in Paul’s letter to the Christians living in extreme persecution in the city of ancient Rome.
Romans 8:28 NLT - And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
To be honest, as I was growing up, I didn’t necessarily like this verse.  It seemed as if some Christians would use it in the most inappropriate places.  You would be hurting and glibly they would say, “Well, you know... that all things work together for good to those who love God.”  I felt, during those times, that I wanted to stuff that verse down their throat. (Just keeping it real).
But over the years I have come to love this verse and what it really means. I have discovered that there are many ways that God works things together for good in our lives, even when we wouldn’t have expected.  Look at these 10 Ways That God Causes Everything To Work Together For God…
1. He Provides
One of the most amazing things I have discovered over the years is that God truly provides even in the midst of extraordinarily difficult circumstances. And... He does so in ways that I never would have expected.
Many times He has taken me through a path of loss only to bring me into pasture of abundance. God gives, and He takes away. But I have always found that He ends up giving me more than He has taken.
And... most of the time, He would not have been able to bless me if He had not first taken away those things I thought I needed at the time.
Philippians 4:19 NLT - “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.”
2. He Changes Hearts
God actually has the super-amazing ability to change hearts. At times he has changed my heart to conform with His perfect plan. At other times I have seen him change the hearts of others in order to accomplish His will in my life.
Proverbs 21:1 NLT - “The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the LORD; he guides it wherever he pleases.”
3. He Protects
Even as God protected the Children of Israel in the midst of the plagues in Egypt, I have seen God protect my family and other Christians who have been in the midst of extreme hardship.
There have been times in my life in which I have felt like I was experiencing a setback. But after allowing time to sort things out, I was able to see that God was actually taking me out of the way of a greater harm that could have befallen me. God was truly protecting me.
Jeremiah 24:6-7 (NLT) 6  I will watch over and care for them, and I will bring them back here again. I will build them up and not tear them down. I will plant them and not uproot them. 7  I will give them hearts that recognize me as the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me wholeheartedly.
4. He Empowers
Another profound thing I've seen over the years is that God has the ability to empower me through challenging events in a way that I never could have experienced otherwise.
God will never leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6) and He tends to give us the greatest amount of his divine power when life is in those darkest hours.
5. He Confounds the Enemy
When you feel that someone is tormenting you, and they just seem to be "getting away with it," you can dismiss that notion from your mind.
Even when you cannot see what God is doing, you can rest assured that He is at work—even in the hearts and minds of your enemies.
Justice reigns, and He has the ability to confound the works of the wicked.
2 Chronicles 20:22 (NLT) 22  At the very moment they began to sing and give praise, the LORD caused the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir to start fighting among themselves.
6. He Strengthens
A famous theologian once made the statement, "Whatever doesn't kill us will make us stronger." OK, that was not actually theologian. It was Arnold Schwarzenegger!
But God clearly uses adversity to make us stronger. The key is to run TO God and not AWAY from Him in times of trials.
God has used trials to strengthen me over the past several decades to the point that I can now withstand hardships that would have crushed me when I was a young man. I am thankful for His spiritual strength which He has imparted to me through those trials.
7. He Builds Your Character
Nothing purifies our character and motives quite like the fiery furnace of trials and tribulations. And it is important for you to know that we all NEED that type of refining.
God uses pain to turn us into clean, pure vessels for His use.
8. He Heals
Just as God allowed Lazarus to die so that He could demonstrate His power over death by raising him back to life (John 11), at times God allows us physical maladies so that He can heal us for His glory.
He is the Great Physician and has the ability to heal when that is what is best in your particular situation. And I have seen His healing in ways that have convinced me that He is truly in control.
9. He Gives You Wisdom
I don't have an exact measuring tool here, but I would estimate that 90% of the wisdom I have gained over my last several decades of adulthood have come during hardship—and not when times were easy.
When we are dialed in to God, He can use pain and difficult times to help us to learn about life in ways that we never could have experienced in times of bliss.
10. He Gives Purpose and Direction
God often gives us direction and purpose by pointing us on a certain path in the midst of hardship.
God can pull you through the storm and into a bright new day of ministry like you've never experienced thus far in your life.
God is good, and He can work all of the events of your life into a great masterpiece—if you let Him.
Proverbs 16:9 (NLT) 9  We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.
May God give you much grace as you learn how God causes all things to work together for good.  If you are going through a storm today – trust God.  Look to Him and the bigger picture that you don’t see.
1 John 4:4 (NLT) 4  But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment