Friday, March 6, 2015

PASSING THE BATON

And the LORD said to Moses: “Take Joshua the son of Nun with you, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him; set him before Eleazar the priest and before all the congregation, and inaugurate him in their sight. (‭Numbers‬ ‭27‬:‭18-19‬ NKJV)

One of the most difficult decision for any leader is how and when to pass off the baton of authority and leadership to the next generation.  There is a fine line of knowing when it your time to step away and what is the right timing for those being raised up for that position.

This could be in regards to business or in church or even in family situations.

Moses and Joshua become a study for this very thing.  God spoke to Moses and told him to inaugurate Joshua for leadership because the Spirit was upon him.

Because of Moses' sin against God - he would not be allowed to cross over into the Promise Land.  

Moses did not want the work of leading the Children of Israel to the promised land to die so he prayed that God would bring someone to pick up the leadership mantle that they would not be like sheep without a shepherd.

God, in answer to his prayer, appoints him a successor, Joshua, who had long already proven himself by his 1) courage in fighting Amalek, 2) his humility in ministering to Moses, 3) and his faith and sincerity in witnessing against the report of the evil spies..

Look at the qualities of Joshua's life that God pitches to Moses:

1.)  Joshua was a man in whom is the Spirit of grace abode.  He feared God and hated covetousness.  He was a man of principle.

2.) Joshua had the spirit of government.  He  had organizational skills.  He was fit to do the work of leading and had the trust of the people.

3.) Joshua had a spirit good conduct and courage.

4.) Joshua had the gift of prophecy, for the Lord often spoke to him - Joshua 4:1, 6:2 and 7:10

God now tells Moses how pass the baton - how to inaugurate him.  This is the most delicate part of any race.  The passing of the baton in a relay race is where races are lost and where races are won.  Notice how God instructs Moses to pass the mantle of leadership to Joshua.

1.) He was to ordain him - to lay hands on him - v.18.

Now Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him; so the children of Israel heeded him, and did as the LORD had commanded Moses. (‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭34‬:‭9‬ NKJV)

This is the same thing that was done in the New Testament as the apostles appointed new leaders and pastors.

2.) He must present Joshua to Eleazar and the people, set him before them, that they might know him to be designed of God for this great trust and consent to that designation.

3.) He must give Joshua a charge - a command, v. 19. The people were to know that he was the leader but that ultimately he was still under God's command and authority.

4.) He must put some of his authority on Joshua, v. 20.

And you shall give some of your authority to him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient. (‭Numbers‬ ‭27‬:‭20‬ NKJV)

Some translations speak of giving him honor.  To this point, Joshua had some authority and some honor but needed this release in his life in order to fulfill his mission.

People were used to following Moses.  Now they would be following Joshua.

5.)  He was to appoint Eleazar the high priest - to be his private council.

He shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall inquire before the LORD for him by the judgment of the Urim. At his word they shall go out, and at his word they shall come in, he and all the children of Israel with him—all the congregation.” (‭Numbers‬ ‭27‬:‭21‬ NKJV)

Though he was full of the Spirit, and had authority and honor bestowed upon him - he was to do nothing without asking the council of God.  He was to not lean to his own understanding.  To govern and lead Israel was going to be a difficult task but God promises to be near to him always if Joshua always consulted with Him.

I was given the opportunity and blessing of succeeding my father and mother in ministry. I was groomed up and taught the ways of leading and ministering.  Slowly things were released to me and eventually I followed in their footsteps in becoming the lead pastor for Trinity Christian Center in Artesia, Calif.

I will never forget sitting on the front row where my father had previously sat and the weight of ministry that I felt pressing on my shoulders.  I was afraid and I was excited.  I had been prepared and I was ready to go.

Someday I will need to do the same with the ministry that is now entrusted with me.  I want to take the example of Moses and Joshua and the example of how my father did it to me and hopefully, prayerfully I will not drop the baton.

(If you are wondering... I'm not at that place right now as I still feel that I have many more years of ministry ahead of me - but I pray that I would not "fail" in this area of my life when that time comes.)





No comments:

Post a Comment