Monday, November 3, 2014

HE RESTORES MY SOUL

Psalm 23:1-3 (ESV) 1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 3  He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 


It is Monday - the day after a long Sunday of giving out and ministering to people.  My mind and body are tired but I know this – God restores my soul.  It’s not a negative thing but a realization that our bodies and minds have limitations.

My father gave me advice early on in ministry that in order to sustain myself over the long haul – I needed to sit daily at the feet of Jesus to regain my physical and spiritual strength.  In other words – I needed to have my soul restored.

In studying this Psalm, it must always be remembered that it is the sheep under the Good Shepherd’s care who is speaking.

If this is the case, one might ask, “Why this statement... ‘He restores my soul’?”  

It would be assumed that anyone under the Good Shepherd’s care could never become so distressed in soul as to need restoration.

But the fact remains - we all need restoration.

Even David, the author of this Psalm, who was much loved of the Lord, knew what it meant to be cast down and dejected at times.

Psalm 42:11 (ESV) 11  Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. 

The question before us then is this – “How do we relate to sheep?” What lessons does God intend for us to understand from reading this passage.

“Cast” sheep or “cast down sheep” is an old English Shepherd’s term for sheep who have turned over on its back and cannot get up again by itself.

A “cast” sheep is a pathetic sight as it lays on its back with its feet in the air trying frantically to get up without success. The center of gravity goes to its back. If the weather is extreme in any way - the sheep will die in a few short hours.  Predators also take advantage of sheep in this position.

The shepherd must bring restoration to the sheep as soon as possible.

Isn’t it the same with us as Christians?

Psalm 56:13 (ESV) 13  For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.

How many of us as Christians often find ourselves cast down and in a place to need restoration.

Interesting Note: It is often the fattest sheep that are the most easily cast down. Often, when we are the most sure of ourselves, we stumble and fall.  Sometimes when we appear to be flourishing in our faith, we find ourselves in a situation of utter frustration and futility.

Paul, in writing to the Christians at Corinth, warned them of this danger. 

1 Corinthians 10:12 (ESV) 12  Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.

How Are We and Sheep Alike? Philip Yancey gives some great observations from the 23rd Psalm about sheep that I would like to share with you on the parallels between us and sheep.

First, the soft spot

The sheep that choose the comfortable, soft spots in the ground in which to lie down often become cast.

As Christians, are we always looking for the easy place, the cozy corner, the comfortable position where there is no hardship, no need for endurance, no demand upon self-discipline?

Second, there is the aspect of sheep having too much wool.

Often, when the fleece becomes very long, and is heavily matted with mud, manure, burrs, and other debris, it is much easier for a sheep to become cast, literally weighed down with its own wool.

Wool in the scripture depicts the old self-life in the Christian.  It is the outward expression of an inner attitude. It is the area of my life in which I am continually in contact with the world around me.

Here is where I find the clinging accumulation of things, of possessions, of worldly ideas of which begin to drag me and hold me down.

Significant Point - No high priest was allowed to wear wool in the holy of holies.  It was representative of self, of pride, of personal preference.  God would not tolerate it.

Whenever a shepherd found that his sheep were becoming cast down because of a too long and heavy fleece, he would soon remedy the situation by shearing the wool completely off.

The sheep don’t like it at first but after it is done they feel so much better.  They are glad to be free of that hot and heavy coat often clogged with manure, mud, burrs, sticks and ticks.

(This represents much hard work for the shepherd).

Isn’t it the same with us?  There come a time when our master needs to take the knife to our old life and apply the cutting edge of His Word to our lives.

We may struggle and kick but oh how good it will feel after it is over.

THIS IS RESTORATION!

Thirdly, the sheep are too fat!

It is a well-known fact that over-fat sheep are neither the most healthy or the most productive.  It is the fattest that are most often cast.

Once a shepherd notices that this is the reason his sheep are becoming cast he will take steps to correct the problem.  He will attempt to change their diet to make them strong and healthy.

Revelation 3:17 (ESV) 17  For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

Material success is not measure of spiritual health. God may well impose on us some “diet” or “discipline” which we may find rough at first but best for us in the long run.

Hebrews tells us that God disciplines those He loves.  The deeper truth is that afterwards it produces.

Lessons to be learned:

-We may rest assured that he will never expect us or ask us to face more than we can stand.  (1 Corinthians 10:13).
-But what He does expose us to will strengthen and fortify ourselves. God knows what is best for me.
-Don’t look for the soft-spot.  
-Remember your wool needs to be sheared every once in a while.
- Don’t get flabby.

As you sit at the feet of Jesus today – I pray that you would be restored in your mind, heart, soul and body.  Receive that prayer in Jesus’ strong name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment