Wednesday, July 23, 2014

TREASURES OUT OF DARKNESS

I will give you the treasures of darkness and the hoards in secret places, that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who call you by your name. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭45‬:‭3‬ ESV)

In 1967 I was in church service on a Thursday morning in an Inter-Faith meeting in my home church in Lynwood California that reached hundreds and hundreds of people every week. It was a time when the baptism of the Holy Spirit was reaching over denominational walls and pouring into "non" pentecostal circles and touching many lives.  

The speaker that day was a man named "Dick Mills" who had a gift in giving scriptures of promise to those who were attending. I remember clearly where I was sitting, left side front row, as he asked a young Puerto Rican man to stand to be ministered to. As this young man stood up, Dick Mills gave the above scripture over him - "I will give you the treasures of darkness..."

This was a word from God to a young man who had lived in the dark places of the earth filled with drugs and much sin. This word to him on that day was a call for him to go back into the dark places and redeem men and women who were caught in the web of darkness and needed someone to help them out.

Little did I know at that time that this was the beginning of a ministry called Victory Outreach. The young man, Sonny Arguinzoni, would take that word as the clarion call of God upon his life to reach as many lost people as he could. He would literally start up hundreds of homes and churches in many cities of the United States and in many countries around the world that would be places of safety and deliverance for young men and women who were caught in the throes of darkness.

The theme of their ministry is basically "Treasures Out Of Darkness."

Recently, I did a funeral at their main church down the hill. I was in awe and amazed at the tremendous growth and blessing that this church has created worldwide. It truly was a "God-thing."

I felt honored that I was able to see the beginning roots of a great ministry and to remember also the many promises that God has placed and fulfilled over my own life. And... to be reminded that God still has things and ministries yet to be fulfilled in me.

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. (‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬ ESV)

But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me. (‭Micah‬ ‭7‬:‭7-8‬ ESV)

I like what Dallas Willard says... "Almost all evil deeds and intents are begun with the thought that they can be hidden by deceit. The kingdom of evil is built on lies, secrets, and darkness. It requires the absence of light to survive. Thus, for all it's fearsome appearance, the kingdom of evil is structurally very weak. Turn on the light, and the cockroaches scramble to go under the refrigerator."

I remember as a child going with my parents down into Carlsbad Caverns to visit one summer. As we went into the depths of the cave - someone turned out the lights and we were in total darkness. It was eerie - especially as you could hear the bats flying nearby. Our guide then lit a match and with that little bit of light we began to see again.

The truth is - darkness doesn't want any light to shine for a little light could expose the truth of what was really there. You have been given the light and God has called you to find "treasures in darkness." Shine your light high so people can see it - for when they see your light - their own darkness will also be exposed

Our theme today should be "This little light of mine - I'm going to let it shine." Don't be afraid to show your light. People are searching for answers and for someone who can show them the way. Let God come into your life fully and begin to "fan the flame" of His Holy Spirit.

"There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." --Robert Alden

No comments:

Post a Comment