Monday, September 19, 2016

YOU ARE SPECIAL TO GOD


‘In that day,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘I will take you, Zerubbabel My servant, the son of Shealtiel,’ says the Lord , ‘and will make you like a signet ring; for I have chosen you,’ says the Lord of hosts.” Hag 2:23 NKJV 

One of the things I struggled with over the years is my self-confidence and self-esteem. I’ve had two extremes when it comes to this issue - the issue of cockiness pride and the issue of not feeling worthy enough. 

When I was preparing to go out in ministry my dad took me aside and said, “Bill, it’s not going to be easy for you and God is going to make every corner sharp for you.” 

My attitude at the time was, “No way, I’m your first-born son. I’m gifted and called by God - this is going to be a breeze.” 

How wrong I was. 

I never realized that God had prepared a path for me that was filled with a lot of pain and suffering. He prepared a path that would knock the pride and cockiness out of me. It was a slow journey and one that at times was not very pleasant but effective. God knew exactly what it was that I needed to become His servant in ministry. 

On the other hand, at times I dealt with a lack of confidence and had low self esteem. The pendulum seems to go from one end to the other. I would compare myself to others and often feel like such a failure when came to ministry. I would beat myself up and put myself down and often ended up in depression. 

Needless to say, God has had His hands full in dealing with me. As I have often said, “I feel like an onion that has all these layers that needs to be peeled off. And, when you get to the end - it still stinks. 

I’m SO thankful for God’s grace and mercy to put up with my up’s and down’s, high’s and low’s. 

The verse at the beginning of the blog says that God will make us His “signet ring” because He has “chosen” us. 

Think about that - a signet ring! 

Ancient kings used signet rings to designate authority, honor, or ownership. A signet contained an emblem unique to the king. Official documents were sealed with a dollop of soft wax impressed with the king’s signet, usually kept on a ring on his finger. Such a seal certified the document as genuine, much like a notary public’s stamp today. 

 A signet ring was used to seal a stone covering the lions’ den: “A stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it with his own signet and with the signet of his lords, that nothing might be changed concerning Daniel.” (Daniel 6:17). 

It is important to understand who Zerubbabel is. He is the governor of the rebuilt Jerusalem and is himself of royal blood, being a descendant of David and the grandson of Judah’s King Jehoiachin. 

Years earlier, Jehoiachin had lost his throne when he was deported to Babylon; in fact, God pictured Jehoiachin as a signet ring being removed from God’s finger (Jeremiah 22:24). 

Now, God calls Zerubbabel the “signet ring,” but this time it won’t be removed. 

 In Haggai’s prophecy, God is giving Zerubbabel encouragement and hope. The governor is “chosen” for a unique and noble purpose. He is special to God. 

As God’s signet ring, Zerubbabel is given a place of honor and authority. Zerubbabel was an important leader involved in the reconstruction of the Jewish temple. God says that he was special to God and that God had great plans for him. He was His “signet” ring - special and important to God. 

Perhaps you have felt that way in your life - unimportant, a failure, a mess. You are always down on yourself and you don’t consider yourself very special to anybody, let alone God. 

But the truth is this - you are special and you are important and you are God’s “signet” ring today. He has a great plan and purpose for your life. He loves you just the way you are. 

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord , thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jer 29:11 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment